posts created during March 2008

March 31, 2008 09:21 AM

take this broken wing

and please fix it. asap.

i hurt my shoulder last week sometime during my trapeze class. i can’t remember doing anything traumatic to injure it, but since friday morning i am unable to lift my right arm without some pain. my best guess is that i sprained my shoulder, probably damaging the rotator cuff (especially the supraspinatus). maybe it was the fingers only return catch (with subsequent peter pan dismount) or the aborted back walkover i tried (on the ground) or the under-rotated back flip i did on the trampoline (with spot). regardless of what caused the injury, i am worried that i won’t be able to fly for a while now. :(

(0) comments | link | category: trapeze

March 12, 2008 09:47 AM

Horoscope

from Rob Brezsny’s Real Astrology

GEMINI (May 21-June 20): Before you attempt a quantum leap of faith over the yawning abyss, please remove your 500 pounds of defense mechanisms first. Your success in soaring the whole distance will require you to be free of emotional baggage. As long as you fulfill this simple prerequisite, I’m in favor of you risking the transition. It’s about time you summoned more zeal to follow the path with heart, even if that path resumes on the other side of the great divide.

(0) comments | link | category: spirit

March 11, 2008 12:00 AM

Crowded House

a nightmare

I was home alone when Angelyn came to visit. We were sitting in the other room when I heard noise. I went to the bedroom and discovered that the neighbor was having a party in our house. He and his friends had crawled through the open fire escape window. I yelled and made a fuss and then they left. Later I went back in the bedroom only to discover that they had come back.

The upstairs neighbors, a gay couple, wanted me to vacuum the carpeted stairs leading to the basement. They made reference to some joke about the ‘untrodden path’ that their comedienne friend Tina Fey (or Sarah Silverman?) made, inferring that the path to the basement was neglected (because it was so often untrodden) and needed attention.

I became hysterical about the uninvited guests but the crowd seemed indifferent to my fit. They were only concerned about having a good time. I threatened to call the cops and eventually reached the Greenpoint Police on the phone. The officer on the other end was very nice and kept thanking me for reporting the incident. I just wanted them to come and make the people leave my house.

In the mean time, a class that had been taking place in another part of the house let out. The students, including a tall, awkward girl I knew from high school, were now mingling with the party-goers even though they were very different crowds.

Eventually the police did arrive and chased everyone away. Angelyn and I were the only ones left. She was getting ready to go back to Florida. I was sorry that her visit had to be filled with such drama.

(0) comments | link | category: dreams

March 8, 2008 03:58 PM

cirque de la lune

i take flying trapeze lessons. i love it (except when it hurts like last saturday [see below]).

3 rips
3 rips

(0) comments | link | category: trapeze

March 7, 2008 09:33 PM

The Lone Star State

Here are some snapshots and notes from my trip to Ft. Worth, TX.

window seat

Reata stairwell featuring former mayors of Ft. Worth
Reata stairwell featuring former mayors of Ft. Worth

I ate at Reata the first night I got because the lady sitting next to me on the plane recommended it. My cousin Jonathan tried to warn against it in case I didn’t like to eat chicken fried steak, but it was late on Sunday night and I was scared that nothing would be open. After I checked in, I made a beeline for the restaurant. On Sunday I had a delicious meal of salad, pepper encrusted steak and crème bruleé. Monday after work the whole Ft. Worth team, the Terra XML trainer and salesman and everyone from out of town went to Reata. We had fancy appetizers and drinks. My margarita was good and the tamale, ribs and bacon (of course!) wrapped shrimp I ate were yummy. Gluten intolerance has its perks; I got to skip the calf fries (don’t ask…).

Reata patio
Reata patio

Modern Art Museum of Fort Worth

I had so much fun visiting the museum. It was practically empty when I arrived after hours on Tuesday evening. I never get to visit a NYC museum and have the place to myself. The architecture of the building (Tadao Ando, architect) was très cool. What a treat! I am only sorry to have missed the opportunity to eat at the restaurant :(

Kiefer, Anselm 'Book with Wings', 1992-94
Kiefer, Anselm ‘Book with Wings’, 1992-94

Pistoletto, Michelangelo 'The Etruscan (L'etrusco)', 1976
Pistoletto, Michelangelo ‘The Etruscan (L’etrusco)’, 1976

Ruscha, Edward 'Standard Station 10c Western Being Torn in Half', 1954 *
Ruscha, Edward ‘Standard Station 10c Western Being Torn in Half’, 1954 *

I took a picture of this painting for Cadin because I had a feeling he would like it. I also liked his ‘Jar of Olives Falling, 1969’ but the picture didn’t do the painting justice.

Becher, Bernd & Hilla 'Water Towers', 1965-1984
Becher, Bernd & Hilla ‘Water Towers’, 1965-1984

As a photographer and someone who lived near the Folkwang Schule in Germany once upon a time, I have seen the Becher water tower photos here, there and everywhere. Due to the format of their presentation here at The Modern in Ft. Worth (horizontal as opposed to grid [and maybe a smarter selection of different towers]), I realized for the first time how wonderful these water tower photographs really are.

Puryear, Martin 'Ladder for Booker T. Washington', 1996
Puryear, Martin ‘Ladder for Booker T. Washington’, 1996

view from the 2nd floor
view from the 2nd floor

Balkenhol, Stephan '4 Figures', 2000
Balkenhol, Stephan ‘4 Figures’, 2000

view from the rear of the museum
view from the rear of the museum

kdL 'Coke Is It!', 2008
kdL ‘Coke Is It!’, 2008

Serra, Richard 'Vortex', 2002
Serra, Richard ‘Vortex’, 2002

Wow. This sculpture is really impressive, has amazing acoustics and is lots of fun. I spent at least 10 minutes stomping around and banging the walls, listening to the echoes as they reverberated up and out the top of the Vortex. I saw the Serra exhibition at the MoMA recently and was impressed, but the presentation of his work here was better because a) I got to touch the sculpture and play in it and b) the scale of the steel slabs was more impressive because the sculpture is taller than the museum and there aren’t a bunch of tall buildings surrounding it.

the best flan ever, Mi Cocina
the best flan ever, Mi Cocina

I ate the best meal of my stay in Ft. Worth at Mi Cocina. And even though someone in my extended family might want to have my head for saying it, the flan was the best I’ve ever eaten. (But the best barBQ I ate in Texas was from Rail Head. Thanks to my cousin Jon and his wife Shannon for taking me there!)

the morning view from my room at the Courtyard by Marriott

the evening view from my room at the Courtyard by Marriott

window seat
window seat

(2) comments | link | category: travel

March 7, 2008 12:00 AM

Baby Boy

With that feeling of struggling to wake up and being dragged down by the force of a tidal wave of grogginess, I emerged from sleeping to rescue a baby that had fallen into the pool. I couldn’t get to my feet to run to the water’s edge so I willed myself to roll and fall into the pool. I got the child and he came up sucking on my finger as if nothing was wrong.

We were on a cruise ship and had to figure out who the child’s parents were. Who would let their baby wander around alone so he could fall into the pool and drown?

Finally we found the baby’s family. His mom was happy to see him but not overly concerned. She noticed that her son seemed to like me; she said that he liked to flirt with all the girls. She told the story of how the Fairy (as in Tooth Fairy or something like that) came every morning to gather the children and give them blessings and treats. All the parents on board let their children go with the Fairy; it was normal and gave the parents a few moments to themselves. Her baby must have gotten lost on the way back.

He was still sucking on my finger/knuckle.

(0) comments | link | category: dreams

March 5, 2008 12:00 AM

At the Age of Nine

Alanna was telling a story about how at the age of nine she had very strange dreams. At the time she had the power to change her dreams in the middle of them, but she made a conscious decision to make her dreams very boring so that she could fit in with the kids at school and make friends.

It made me sad that she had felt compelled to trade the power to control her fantastic dreams for the comfort of making friends in grade school.

(0) comments | link | category: dreams

March 5, 2008 12:00 AM

My Shadow

a nightmare

I dreamt that I lived with the Cordes family again (or still?). Late one night I took the bus home. It drove us straight to the house, even the Red Light neighborhood wasn’t on the normal route. We turned right at a tower of glowing red lights and I got off right near the house.

On the way home I saw the filipino function I had missed because my previous commitment had taken too long. It was OK that I had missed it because I didn’t think the performance was going to be any good anyways. It was a play or musical by Tim C. and he was always complaining that no one liked or understood his art. I was supposed to give a young man a photo CD with images from the previous performance.

At home Johnny and Elizabeth wanted to talk, especially Herr Cordes. He annnounced that we wouldn’t go fishing first thing in the morning the next day. I went to my room and Catrin was there with and asian girl carrying a book of photographs from filipino performances. I noticed that on the cover was printed, “By …, photos by Irene HK.” Then I knew who the asian girl was; it was Irene. I was upset and jealous that she had gotten to be the photographer for something that I thought I had more claim on (I’m filipino, she’s not). I tried to explain to Catrin, without Irene noticing, that I already knew this girl and didn’t like her. Catrin didn’t get the hint and was saying that she had invited Irene to spend the night. I was upset but there was nothing I could do about the situation.

Irene started talking about the last time she saw me, I had been sick. I explained that I was much stronger now that I had figured out how to eat so that I wouldn’t be malnourished. There was a whole cooked salmon from the potlatch/filipino event. The flesh came off in rings when pulled. Irene told me that she lived in Bellevue and that she knew of Yunie’s whereabouts since they lived in the same city. She said that Yunie and her husband knew each other because they were both atheists.

A small animal entered the room and we chased it and offered it food to get it to go back outside. Catrin was making a bed for Irene because she was going to spend the night.

update
I spoke with Dr. W about this dream. He said that it sounded very claustrophobic and I agreed. We talked about concepts from Jungian analysis and alchemy - shadow, animus, dark matter. I am still trying to sort everything out. I am paying more attention to my shadow aspects and being more gentle and accepting of them. In doing that I hope to find out what the good qualities of my ‘bad side’ are so that I can integrate both.

(0) comments | link | category: spirit